Saturday, October 09, 2004

mission accomplished

Good morning,
I woke up early on a Saturday to go stand in a crowd for the opening of the Scottish Parliament. I was not really sure what that meant, and I wasn't sure what I was waiting to see. There were a few archers standing around, and a few people dressed as peasants; it seemed like an SCA gathering. Then some kids got up and started prancing around and saying stuff and singing, but there were too many helicopters buzzing around for anyone to hear them. Then there was a flyover by some jet, that looked more like a cargo plane than anything actually impressive, but the crowd seemed to like that well enough. Then some old lady in fuchsia pulled up in some expensive car, and people started pushing and craning their necks to see her. But then, and this is where it gets interesting, the parade started. And who led the parade out but the immortal and redoubtable Sir Sean Connery? So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. I have seen him, he was within 25 feet of my humble self, he waved at me and smiled. It was almost as if he was saying, "Yes, I received those letters from your dorm, and they touched me deeply. Thank you, Loro. . . thank you."
After that, I left; there was nothing else to see.
I will never wash these eyes again.

sincerely,
walter